When thinking of Plainsboro’s farming history, Walker-Gordon Farm and their mascot Elsie the Cow may be the first to come to mind. But another important part of Plainsboro’s history surrounds the humble potato. The land in this area was rich, fertile and well-suited to growing potatoes. The land on which the Plainsboro Municipal Center and the Wicoff House Museum now stand was once a prosperous potato farm. Catherine L Britton, daughter of Col. Dean Britton, inherited a portion of her father’s property when he passed away in 1870. Catherine couldn’t run a potato farm on her own and soon hired John Wicoff as farm manager.   Potatoes grew successfully on the farm as did a budding romance between Catherine and John. They soon married and had a son, John Van Buren Wicoff. John VB Wicoff was successful lawyer and was instrumental in the push to separate from Cranbury and South Brunswick and petition the State of New Jersey to incorporate the new town of Plainsboro.  So, in a round-about way, Plainsboro owes its existence as an independent town to that starchy root vegetable – the potato!